I am flattered you want to know more about me! My name is Philip Yurchuk and I’m a software consultant with over two decades of experience. I run my own consultancy, Made Up Name (yes, that’s really the name). In addition to the stuff on the home page, I…
- started programming at age 12 and since then have learned 15 different programming languages. I also picked up a degree in CS from RPI, where they taught us to pronounce COBOL with the same tone you’d use for Voldemort.
- held just about every job in IT, most of the time as a lead or manager. I genuinely enjoy figuring out how to make software teams more efficient and projects more effective and less costly.
- In 2013 I embarked on a ’round the world trip while working on a startup to provide BI and analytics dashboards for internet retailers. Spent another 8 months abroad in 2017, living in Madrid and Cebu City.
- run the Orange County Java User Group and the Tech Interview Study Group, both the largest of their kind in SoCal.
- I’m a big fan of Groovy and Grails, Talend, and other technologies with low cognitive load.
I am what Malcolm Gladwell calls a super connector. After my trip, I made an effort to expand my network, and have since added about 200 people a year. I have over a thousand connections, despite the fact that I don’t accept LinkedIn invites from people I don’t know. If you think I can help you we’re in the same city (usually LA), I’d love to grab a meal or coffee to discuss it with you, so contact me. More than once I’ve been able to solve a nagging business problem over lunch and I’m always happy to be of service.
You can find out more on LinkedIn.